spacer spacer spacer
spacer Home spacer

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our E-Newsletter


Historic Sites and Districts

Designation Report
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Requires the Flash Player Plug-in
Historic Sites and Districts
List from A to Z
Archeological Zones
Architectural Styles
spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer
top_spacer spacer

Fort Dallas
(William English Plantation)

right_spacer spacer
ft dallas spacer ft dallas spacer




© Janus Research

© Florida Photographic Collection

bottom_spacer spacer
spacer spacer

::  Fort Dallas (William English Plantation)
Lummus Park, 404 NW 3rd Street
Year Built: circa 1844
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Date Designated: 1984

a. This native oolitic limestone building was constructed around 1844 as slave quarters on William English's plantation located near the mouth of the Miami River. The building served as a U .S. Army barracks after Fort Dallas was reestablished here in 1849 and 1855 during the Second and Third Seminole Wars. Moved to Lummus Park in 1925, Fort Dallas is one of only two surviving buildings from Miami's pioneer era, the other being the William Wagner House, also located in Lummus Park.

b. Historic photograph of Fort Dallas, circa 1880.

:: Site design Modi5 :: Site development Blue Reef Creative :: Historic Preservation Consultant Janus Research