spacer spacer spacer
spacer Home spacer

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our E-Newsletter


Historic Sites and Districts

Designation Report
(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Requires the Flash Player Plug-in
Historic Sites and Districts
List from A to Z
Archeological Zones
Architectural Styles
spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer
top_spacer spacer

Black Police Precinct and Courthouse

right_spacer spacer
police spacer police spacer




© Janus Research

© Arva Moore Parks

bottom_spacer spacer
spacer spacer

::  Black Police Precinct and Courthouse
1009 NW 5th Avenue
Year Built: 1950
Architect: Walter C. DeGarmo
Date Designated: 2002

a. In September 1944, Miami's first five black police officers were sworn in and given the responsibility of patrolling the Central Negro District, which included today's Overtown and parts of Liberty City. As the separate police force grew, this modern building was constructed as headquarters for the patrols and as a municipal court where black defendants were tried before an African-American judge. The police precinct and courthouse operated in this building until July 1963, when the black officers were integrated into the Miami Police Department. This building is currently awaiting rehabilitation.

b. Historic photograph of black police officers in front of the building, circa 1955.

:: Site design Modi5 :: Site development Blue Reef Creative :: Historic Preservation Consultant Janus Research